Most of us love to eat fruits because of their sweetness and juiciness. But do you know that fruits are also a healthy source of Vitamin C? Generally speaking, fruits and fruit drinks may be highly acidic. And including highly acidic foods and drinks in our daily routine can damage our teeth, if not given proper care.
When you have acidic fruits and other foods leads to-
Tooth erosion< enamel erosion< dental erosion and tooth sensitivity.
Let’s find out about Dental Erosion!
Tooth enamel is actually very hard. But the high acid content foods and juices still cause damage, weaken or demineralize it over time. The calcium level in saliva aids to strengthen your enamel. But when your mouth is highly acidic, demineralization may not happen. Due to this, a situation emerges known as Tooth Erosion and decay.
Check out the common signs of erosion:
- Sensitivity – Hot and cold food items, highly-flavored sweets and cold air too can generate high sensitivity when they come in contact with your teeth.
- Discoloration – When the enamel of the tooth turns thinner, your teeth might become slightly yellower. This in fact, reveals the dentin underneath.
- Rounded teeth – These are little curves along the chewing surface and may look to have softer or sanded edges.
- Transparency – The edges of your incisors may minimize in opacity (as if you can almost see through them).
- Cracks – Very small faults or sharpness around the edges of the teeth are also natural.
What are some of the most Acidic Foods?
Intake of too much Acidic Foods can destroy the tooth enamel and also weaken your gum line. This in turn exposes the inner layer. So it’s crucial to intake them in the apt proportion.
Given below are some highly acidic foods and drinks that should not be consumed on a daily basis:
- Citrus fruits like lemons, limes, and oranges
- Apples, grapes, pomegranates, pineapples
- Fruit juices and sodas
- Tomatoes and tomato juice
- Jams and jellies, Vinegar
Given below are some foods and drink that would not lead to erosion:
- Beans, and soya beans
- Corn, peas, peppers, and spinach
- Fish, including salmon, shrimp
- Crab meat
- Cheeses, breads, green tea
- Potatoes, rice
- Watermelons, ripe mangoes, and bananas
Solutions to Erosion
- Implement a proper oral regimen
- Maintain a balanced diet
- Make regular visits to your dentist
Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in Richardson, TX, then surely call us at Gentle Touch Dentistry. Our Dentist in Richardson, Dr. Anuritha Chepyala performs the best treatment for any of your dental problems. She renders you the perfect smile you wish to achieve.