Why Do Teeth Get Discolored?
Who doesn’t want a healthy white smile? everyone, right. However, there are numerous reasons why your teeth get darkened. Some factors we can’t control disturb our tooth enamel’s growth. Therefore, it’s necessary to discuss your plans for whitening your teeth with your dentist.
Your dentist will be able to find if your tooth staining is caused by lifestyle factors like drinking too much coffee or it is a matter of oral health.
Teeth whitening is performed due to cosmetic reasons, that is why your dentist always put some choices for you to treat the type of tooth staining you have, & what is the reason behind it.
Some of the very first reasons for tooth stains are due to an unbalanced lifestyle & habits that include the following:
- Tobacco use
- Poor dental hygiene: Disease
- Dental materials
How Can You Prevent Tooth Discoloration?
At-home teeth whitening:
- Avoiding stain-causing foods & beverages.
- Use a straw for drinking coffee or wine
- Applying over-the-counter teeth whiteners
- Cleaning your teeth twice a day
- Switch your toothbrush & toothpaste
Dental Whitening Techniques:
The teeth whitening procedure by an experienced dental specialist is required when you have a lot of tooth staining and can not be cured with home remedies or treatment. Some of the primary technique a dentist follow to make your smile bright are as follows:
- Professional Whitening is performed in-clinic by a dentist who uses professional whitening products and procedures to speed up the whitening process. He or she will apply a hydrogen peroxide solution. Some products require heat with a unique light to fasten the bleaching procedure. Other dental products will have a higher concentration of whitener used with desensitizer and some custom trays for better whitener bonding. The process is safe in the hands of a trained dentist.
- Dental Bonding is a process in which your dentist applies a white polish to your tooth and sets it with a special light. The light ‘glues’ the resin to the tooth to enhance the color of your smile.
- Dental Crowns are put to shield, cover, whiten, and repair damaged teeth, so you flaunt your smile. The Teeth crown can be custom-made as per your requirement, color & shape will suit your needs.
- Dental Veneers are customized porcelain ‘shells’ created to conceal the front of the tooth to enhance the color and shape of your smile. They are delicate and about the size and consistency of a false nail. Some patients prefer dental veneers for which your dentist will suggest you not to chew hard foods with your incisor teeth to avoid breaking the veneers.
Who doesn’t want to look their best all the time, so taking care of your teeth is all about having healthy habits! With some simple lifestyle shifts, you may be capable of preventing tooth staining. If you’re a coffee-lover, consider cutting back or finding an alternative drink. Similarly, if you smoke, try quitting as smoking also impacts not just your oral health but overall health. Keep your dental hygiene game up by brushing and flossing twice a day and getting routine dental check-ups once every six months.
If your teeth appear to be dull in color, despite your best oral hygiene measures, and if other signs are also present, then contact us to see a dentist near you in Richardson, Texas.