The basic rule of maintaining dental hygiene is to brush and floss your teeth twice a day and not following it can cause innumerable oral diseases such as a dental abscess. It emerges around the root of an affected tooth and can be identified as a pocket of pus. Dental abscesses can be extremely painful and sometimes it might not be that discomforting but its better to get it treated on time to avoid severe oral problems. Therefore, see your dentist as soon as possible to get rid of it.
The causes of a dental abscess are given below. Let’s take a look at them.
- An unhealthy mouth can escalate the formation of bacteria which can easily enter through a decayed tooth and then slowly reach to the root of it. The infection further causes swelling of the gums and separates the tissue around the tooth root from the base of it and give rise to a dental abscess.
- A cracked tooth could also be a major reason for a dental abscess because the bacteria can spread to the root of the tooth even through a tooth that is cracked.
- Eating a lot of sugar frequently can definitely lead to a dental abscess. Therefore, cut down on chocolates, sweets, aerated beverages and so on.
- A dental abscess can also emerge if complications are faced during a dental surgery.
- A dental trauma often leads to a dental abscess.
- Brushing and flossing vigorously is also one of the causes of a dental abscess.
Now let’s see what are the symptoms of a dental abscess.
- A throbbing toothache.
- When the jaw pains.
- When a bad taste occurs.
- Pain while chewing food.
- Bad breath caused by the infection.
- If the gums bleed.
- If the face becomes red or swollen.