Saliva contains many enzymes along with antibacterial compounds and other important substances. Saliva formation can help protect your teeth from decaying and even hinder the emergence of bad breath which is also known as halitosis.
Dry mouth, which is medically termed as Xerostomia can have several consequences, therefore, necessary steps must be taken to prevent reduced saliva flow.
Dry mouth could be persistent or temporary, here are some tips to prevent the condition. Following them can help fight dry mouth if you are experiencing it.
- Chewing gums can stimulate the flow of saliva, but also remember not to chew gums that contain sugar rather have sugar-free gums. You can even chew gums that contain xylitol which does no harm to your teeth. Xylitol is known as a great substitute of sugar, it is granular in structure and is also naturally found in many fruits.
- Dehydration is one of the primary causes for a dry mouth. Therefore, an adequate amount of water intake is necessary every day. Drinking plenty of water can keep your mouth moist and also loosen the mucus. Drink 10 to 8 glasses of water on a regular basis if you have dry mouth.
- Saliva formation can also depend on the foods that you are eating. Chewing raw celery and carrots can be useful if you want to get rid of dry mouth. Talking about fruits that produce saliva, apple, orange, kiwi, grapefruit and lemon could be good choices because they have high water content. However, remember to rinse your mouth after having these fruits as they contain acid. Cheese, on the other hand, is also known for triggering saliva flow. Eating soft and moist foods that contain butter, cream or is made with gravy can also help prevent dry mouth.
- You must be thinking that rinsing with a mouthwash is highly beneficial. Yes, it could be true, but, you must know how to select the right mouthwash. Mouthwashes that contain peroxide or alcohol can certainly lead to dry mouth. Therefore, avoid swishing your mouth with such rinsing liquids.
- Both caffeine and alcohol can leave your mouth dry. Therefore, you must cut down on the intake of alcoholic beverages and coffee. They can also trigger serious dental issues.
The formation of saliva plays a big role in promoting good dental health. Follow the above-mentioned advice to hinder a dry mouth. You can also call Gentle Touch Dentistry at (469) 336-3069 to know about the symptoms of a dry mouth.