Gum disease is usually painless in the beginning and as a result, most people tend to ignore them. Though, doing so can lead to severe oral problems in the days to come. Here at Gentle Touch Dentistry, we have always tried to educate people along with providing them with quality dental care services. The very thought of oral health maintenance draws the picture of steps to keep your teeth healthy. You need to realize that the gums are equally important. Adapting a few steps and investing minimal time in gum care can help you prevent gum diseases. Keeping this in mind, we have come up with a blog that will discuss effective tips to keep your gums healthy. So, if you have any queries related to this topic, do go through the sections below.
How to Prevent Gum Disease?
- Brush your teeth – Brush your teeth regularly to avoid the chances of suffering from gum disease. Brushing basically helps to get rid of the food particles stuck in between your teeth and on your gum line. Now, leaving these remnant food particles can lead to the formation of plaque which is a film-like substance consisting of harmful bacteria. These bacteria initiate gum disease. Be careful to brush along your gum line and tongue for better results. You can also use fluoride toothpaste that is available in today’s time. Dentists recommend brushing at least twice a day.
- Floss regularly – Flossing daily is a must if you want to have healthy gums. Are you wondering why? Well, a floss can clean the areas that cannot be reached by your toothbrush. You should floss before brushing your teeth for the best outcome. Use a floss holder if you find it difficult to insert the floss in between your teeth.
- Use a mouthwash – Do not forget to rinse your mouth with a mouthwash to fight against the gum-disease causing bacteria. There are different types of antibacterial mouthwashes available in the market. Do get the one that fulfills your oral needs. Studies say that using a mouthwash reduces the plaque up to 20%.
- Do not smoke – Smoking cigarettes can be really bad for your gums. You should give up this habit as soon as possible. Smokers have a higher probability of suffering from periodontal or gum problems.
- Maintain a healthy diet – You should avoid sugary and starchy food items to prevent gum disease. There are a few harmful bacteria in your mouth that thrive in the presence of sugar particles. On the other hand, you include a lot of fruits and vegetables in your daily diet.
- Go for regular dental checkups – It is essential to go for dental checkups on a regular basis. This increases the chances of any gum problem getting diagnosed at an early stage. Contact Gentle Touch Dentistry if you are looking for top-quality dental care in Richardson, TX. Our professionals are here to help you maintain healthy gums.
Symptoms of Gum Disease
You should be careful to notice the first signs of gum disease. They are:
- You can suffer from the problem consistent bad breath or halitosis
- Having a bad taste in your mouth
- Suffering from loose teeth
- Bleeding gums while brushing or flossing your teeth
- Receding gums
- Tenderness and reddishness in your gums
In case you face any of the above-mentioned symptoms, do not hesitate to consult the best dentist nearby. Just remember that gum disease can be easily prevented if acted on time. We hope that you have gathered a clear idea about the symptoms of gum disease and the tips to prevent it.